Thursday, August 14, 2008

Here's to moving

The sludge has fallen to just below my knees. It had crept up to my shoulders, really hindering my walking, but know it is more manageable and I feel it slipping even more. Hopefully it will be at my ankles and then gone altogether.

As I prayed about fear and brokenness in my life I had this vision or image of myself walking through sludge. I was not sludge. I was me. But it was as if I was walking along the floor of a swimming pool of sludge as high as my shoulders--maybe even above my head. I was moving--able to walk and press forward. But the sludge, the fear and brokennes, the imperfection and chaos of life around me, remained.

I began to find peace in the midst of the sludge. I wasn't fighting it. I wasn't a part of it. But it did surround me and it didn't stop me. The only one who could stop me was me.

The peace began to fully settle in me as I realized that I didn't have to move the sludge. I didn't have to fight it, remove it, fix it or destroy it. I just had to keep moving, looking to the author of finisher of my faith.

No comments: