Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Berries and Gardens

A few things off the top of my head: strawberries don't last forever and nut grass can only be ignored for so long.

It's the end of summer and strawberries are everywhere! And I love 'em. But to get the organic (which is a must) you have to spend a decent penny and, like any budget-keeper, I always try to save anything that costs extra. So I saved my strawberries. I kept them in a nice container in the fridge and saved them. Not sure what for, but they were expensive and wonderful, so I had to stockpile them. I saved and saved and harbored and protected. And then when I went to savor, they had molded.

It's almost as if "things" don't last forever.

The worst part is that I had a chance to share the goodness with friends, but this sudden fear grabbed me: if I share, I can't enjoy! I know it's not true, but I just love those berries. As I threw out the molded ones, I realized that strawberries don't last forever.

I also saw this morning that some people think they don't have nut grass. A weed that can overtake a garden in days, nut grass is as evident as the day. Its tall green blades shoot straight up out of the soil and underneath the roots connect deep to one another, forming a long chain. It doesn't look unattractive, but does serious damage.

I worked in a guy's garden today and he warned all of us that he had lots of nut grass. In fact, I spent all of the morning pulling it up. But I realized that not all of us can be so bold as to confess our nut grass overgrowth.

Some of us would rather point our finger at the man who talks about his weeds. I can see the scoffers and boasters shaking their head and belittling the weed-filled garden.

You know, the same people who stockpile their strawberries from friends.

But it's the guy who works out the weeds, who admits it and pulls 'em up, whose garden grows. Us scoffers eventually have to face the nut grass. And by then it's practically killed everything.

No comments: