Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Weeping Prophet

Sometimes, deep in my soul, I feel akin to the weeping prophet (Jeremiah). He was weeping over the state of his city, his Jerusalem, his people, his God's chosen people.

I remember being very young (Jr. High?) and coming across my first images of famine in Africa. These black and white images blown to the size of a TIME magazine page of skeletal babies sitting in dust--actual age: ten years old. One image really made me mad (and I believe I still own it). This wealthy merchant walked up to a rice stand run by a starving family and stole a bag of rice. Tall and in white flowy gowns and a matching turban, the obviously wealthy and well-fed man didn't even look down at the skeletal frame of the little boy who reached his hand out to stop him but whose skeletal frame was too weak to get up to chase after the thief. Justice is so clear in that picture. So clearly not served.

I used to read The Economist and other foreign policy magazines to learn about national atrocities. I would take the most descriptive images and tear them from the magazine and tack it on my bedroom wall. This, I knew so deep in my heart, had to stop. Tack. Up on the wall they went until my room was nearly covered.

I look at marriages and families today with some of the same intense passion of justice not being served. Of women and men who lie about their marriages--first to themselves and then to the rest of the world. Of people afraid. Afraid to seek God's best? Of men who refuse to stand up, die to themselves and start leading the way by following in Christ's example.

I am now learning about childbirth in America. Suddenly, I feel like the rest of the world could be teaching us. "Even though the United States has the most intense and widespread medical management of birth--99% of women give birth in a hospital--we rank near the bottom among industrialized countries in maternal and infant mortality....According to the World Health Organization, we rank second to last among 33 industrialized countries in this regard and 30th for maternal mortality. Although we are superior in saving the lives of infants born severely premature, women are 70% more likely to die in childbirth in the United States than in Europe."

"In the countries with the best maternal and infant outcomes....the vast majority of laboring women get individual support from a midwife, are free to move about and birth in whatever position feels best, and are rarely induced, anesthetized, or cut" (Pushed, xv).

This is wrong. It's wrong that we have stigmatized birth and a woman's natural process of labor by declaring it a medical condition. It's wrong that we wreak our fear all over their bodies and force them to take great risks to protect the doctor's backs.

Don't even get me started on the food processes and toxic chemicals that NO OTHER country in Europe will even touch but that we hand out as safe because IT MAKES US MORE MONEY. Pesticides are poison!!!! I don't know how we can be so ignorant. If it kills the bugs, it CAN KILL US. And don't even get me started about the ridiculousness of fortified foods that MAJOR COMMERICAL CORPORATIONS pass off as "healthy."

"Selling salt is actually a side line for salt companies; they make most of their profits pulling out the minerals and selling them back to us through health food stores and to companies like Kellogg's that take a naturally healthy food, process the pee out of it (till it's worthless) and then add back some minerals and vitamins. The minerals come from the salt companies. This is called fortified food."

"For every gram of PTS (processed table salt) that your body cannot get rid of, your body uses twenty three times that amount of cell water to neutralize the salt. Eating PTS causes excess fluid in your tissues which can contribute to cellulite, arthiritis, and kidney stones."

Hey, but it comes in a nice, handy box! And the men who sell it say it's healthy--mmmmm, fortified! Must be good for us--the cartoon Tiger says so! These are the same type of men who we criticize for running companies like Enronr, AIG, etc. Come on, guys. THEY WIL SELL YOU ANYTHING!

We are poisoning our own people from the inside out.

It brings me to tears, to weeping. I want to scream. I used to want to move to the developing world to feed them myself. I used to want to get into politics. But slowly God started showing me that I am not the Holy Spirit. I can't make lasting change. Only He can change hearts and that's our real problem. I started to see that the greatest method to bring about change is genuine, transparent motherhood. Suddenly I want dozens and dozens of children.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I love you.

KB said...

I enjoy your blog very much. Your passion is contagious. Thank you for sharing.

Ginger said...

I have to say that in the defense of hospitals that not all nurses or for the matter doctors discount the labor process. We do understand that it is a natural process. I appreciate that you are so educated on the process but not all are. The majority of labor nurses would be very happy if a laboring woman understood the process and worked with it instead of against it but again not all do so they resort to more medical means of giving birth ie epidurals, induction etc. There are valid reasons for what we do when we do need to step in and assist in the process. I can't say that some of the things that happen in the labor process don't occur because of medicine, (for example length of labor extended due to induction). But I will not be ashamed of the work that I do to help women deliver healthy babies. Many woman don't want the no epidural, no medication, no nothing birth. I would love if all women were as aware of the options available to them. I am not only a Labor nurse but also a childbirth educator and the majority of women want more information about epidurals than they do about breathing and relaxation techniques. I look forward to reading the book Pushed and was very impressed with the movie The business of being born. but I cant help but feel the need to defend myself. I have had 5 children. All in hospitals. I am not at all suggesting anything about your delivering at home but for me, as it is for you, it was better for me to deliver in a hospital. I had two vag births, a c/section (breech) and two vbacs. I am thankful for medicine but I am also thankful for those who understand the need for those professionals who take a natural approach. As a nurse I am an advocate for my patients and am willing to support them regardless of the way that they choose to deliver. My hope is always that they are making educated decisions and I make sure to educate them if the need arises. I do enjoy reading your blog and your writing is wonderful. Congrats again on the upcoming birth of your sweet baby girl

Ginger said...

ok so after re reading my post I want to clarify one sentence.

I am not at all suggesting anything about your delivering at home but for me, as it is for you, it was better for me to deliver in a hospital.

May have come out wrong what I meant to say was that for me the hospital was the best choice. And for you it is home birth. Just
wanted make sure that came out right! haha

Stephanie said...

Thank you ladies for all the blog love. :) I love you, too, Mel! And KB, thanks for the encouragement. Ginger, it's great to hear a Labor/Delivery nurses' opinion. I would love to hear what you think of "Pushed." (She interviews several nurses who echo your same sentiments!) It has been a great read and I, too, love that mothers/fathers are trying to get more educated.

stephanie moors said...

i love you. pure and simple. love you. love you. love you. i am inspired. and i DIDN'T know this about table salt! i need to know more! educate me, my bff ae ae ae ae! my favorite part is drawing the accurate picture that we ARE the under developed country. we are just as wronged. in different ways, we are suffering and being led into what will kill us. injustice is injustice. in our abundance of food and resources, we are being poisoned everytime we shovel food into our mouths.