Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Gratitude Monday...On a Tuesday?

From the minute we walked out of The King's Speech on Saturday night, I knew what would top my gratitude list for the upcoming Monday. Unfortunately, yesterday got away from me.

What I had been itching to write about is weakness. I imagine my husband and I are some of the last people in North America to see The King's Speech. We had seen previews for it long before even Christmas and were thrilled that it was still in theaters last weekend. Sitting in the lovely dark theater, I knew instantly what drew me to this real-life character: his weakness. I was enthralled with this royal man of prime education, unimaginable wealth and historic fame who suffered from a stammer. Gossip magazines today are popular for at least bringing the rich and famous down to our, "normal" level. "Really?! Famous movie star girl has flab on her tummy, too?! Tell me more!" There is some part of us all that wants to know we are "normal" and that there really is nothing anyone else has that we can't also have, granted if we also had limitless spending on personal hairdressers. While I can't comment on the humility within the Hollywood, I can find inspiration in this king's humility when it came to addressing his weakness. It seemed that the only thing that stood between him and his ability to rise to the occasion was not just his stammer, but his ability to seek out help, from whomever might offer it. His ability to humble himself.

There is something so humbling in a king who stutters. A king who is flawed. Less than perfect. Brought down to the level of humanity like the rest of us so to speak. A king who is willing to admit his weakness and enter even a common office to be aided by a commoner (or less than that considering his Australian heritage with no formal education). Rory and I were both drawn to and inspired by his fight over weakness, a fight ultimately won in humility.

So today (or, ahem, yesterday) I find myself grateful for MY weakness. And the very real King who took it all on Himself and conquered it all through humility. Looking back on this week, I find myself thankful today for these blessings:

23. A King glorified in my weakness; who bore, glorified and now empathizes with very pathetic me
24. A daughter who I pray will always know an empathic Father, father, mother as she someday discovers her own weakness
25. A husband who continues to seek out my (blunt--forgive me!) opinion on his weakness
26. A mother-in-law and her father who took an entire morning to play at music class with Dia and me!



27. And then stayed for lunch, too! (Can this one count as ten blessings?!) (Sorry, Opa. Dia got a little wavey with the fork...)

28. The joy so richly found in picking out our own outfits! (She found this in her bottom drawer and fell over twice trying to put in on herself before we stepped in to help her. Then she kept rubbing her tummy to feel the tightness of the spandex against her skin! Oh attainable joy!)


29. Taking in new life (more on this to come!)


30. Having the best lunch date around



31. A husband who is (nearly) as passionate as I am about good, healthy food (Recipe soon to follow!)
31. The routine of hand stamps after the end of music class. Days like this we prefer to not wash our hands 32. My sleeping beauty whose blond strands still get entangled with mine as we rest and breathe and lay together

33. Rory's weekly date time with the girl we share (This was the pic he sent me while they were at music class)


34. God's special gift to Dia after leaving the doctor's office: A Mao! (Pronounced like "Chairman Mao"--rhymes with "cow." It's how Dia says "Meow." You simply cannot invent such preciousness.)


35. A family! And their excellent company during lunch and while we surprised them at church. Oma, Dia, Papa, Opa and Great-Opa. Four generations with more in common than not.
Happy Grateful Day--whichever day of the week it might be.

No comments: