Monday, December 01, 2008

Which ship

I am so inspired by the underdog today. I don't necessarily feel I fit the bill today, but I am inspired by how the bigger picture (by which I mean God's view) really illumines truth despite the way it might appear.

I heard at a meeting this morning an inspiring contrast between the Mayflower and the Titanic. Both ships set sail from England to America. The former embarked on a perilous pilgrimage--it was a risk, an adventure looking only to above for the results. The results, well, the results are almost incomparable: a nation free from kings, a land governed by its people, trade free and profitable. America (no matter your political view) has changed the world forever. The Titanic, however, was a sure bet. All the science, the money, the glam, the proof was in this ship--this unsinkable ship! And it sunk before ever even viewing its final destination. In which do I place my hope? In the proven science of money and industry? Or in the direction of my Creator no matter the appearance and the peril?

I recently went to a Coldplay concert. (Interestingly this is a British band...) I was amazed by the talent and artistry displayed. I don't know their individual journey's, but I am inspired by so many of their lyrics that resonate with my sense of how what we see on the outside has nothing to do with our real position (i.e., we might look secure on that Titanic--doesn't mean we are). It also speaks to the never-ending roller coaster of life--the ups and downs. At times, we appear to be losing. Chips are counted and it appears we are out. But at others, we are that big fish in a little pond feeling invincible. In both, can we embark on our Mayflower?

Here are some lines a' la Coldplay to inspire:

Just because I'm losing
Doesn't mean I'm lost
Doesn't mean I'll stop
Doesn't mean I would cross

Just because I'm hurting
Doesn't mean I'm hurt
Doesn't mean I didn't get
What I deserved
No better and no worse

I just got lost
Every river that I tried to cross
Every door I ever tried was locked
Ohhh and I'm...
Just waiting 'til the shine wears off

You might be a big fish
In a little pond
Doesn't mean you've won
'Cause along may come
A bigger one

--"Lost"

1 comment:

familygregg said...

And I love that visual...Liberty Leading the People.