Sunday, May 16, 2010

Six Years Later...


Yesterday marked the sixth May 15th since 2004. 2004 being
the simple four numbers that represent
the year Rory and I wed.

And I guess at some point, the date May 15, 2004 has become more than a date.
It's starting to feel like
a marking in history,
a specific and fixed representation of the alignment of the sun, moon and stars
on one particular 24-hour light and dark cycle.
And since 2004,
that alignment of planets and positioning of the sun (i.e., that day)
has become ours.
We own it.
Every kiss, every fight, every discussion and resolution has cemented our ownership.

It's our day and the last six summers,
autumns, winters
and springs with its
warmth
and cold,
light
and dark cycles

prove, to me, that we have earned it.

Yesterday was our holiday to stop, kiss, share and talk as we lived and loved during yet another celebration of the 365-day spin and cycle of the earth that brought us to our sixth year.

Our marriage for me, at six years, is really and truly becoming fact. It's like breath. It just is. To live is to breathe, to exist is to be with Rory. Though I feel it taking more of me and more of him and slowly rubbing down the edges and delineations between our persons and our spirits and leaving an us.

Six years later, there is us.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ah Stephanie, this is beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your words and feelings. Happy 6th anniversary to you both! Dia is as blessed as she is beautiful! (which is ALOT!) :)

Rory Starks said...

Yes, I understand "us." Sonja and I have been "us" for nearly 30 years.

From the song I wrote for our wedding . . .

"Love me in the Springtime
Summer, Fall you'll be mine

Love me when the snow falls
We'll be one, 'till the end of time"