Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Passion, Passover and the Big Two-Seven

Ah, it's Passion Week. How I love Passion Week.

I remember my second semester in Bible college when Dr. O (still one of my favorite teachers of all time), opened my world with the book "Jesus Christ: The Greatest Life." I had never before even imagined a blending of the four gospels, much less such a complete narrative of Jesus' life. It blew me away. I still keep that book on the shelf and refer to it some ten years later. That book introduced me to the real power and purpose of Passion Week.

And because I am completely vain, I love that my birthday is always somewhere near this most holy week. This year, it's smack dab in the middle.

But wait. It gets better! PASSOVER (my favorite holiday of the year--yes, more beloved than even Christmas) actually began on none other than March 30 (my birthday). So at sundown Monday night we enlisted all the family that could make it to join us for a Rory-led seder. And it was so personal, so meaningful hearing Rory read and lead us through the traditions that hold my heart still. We found a new Haggadah that we hadn't used before and this one really emphasized family which was special for us. And we sat Dia in her travel high chair right next to Daddy and everyone couldn't help but laugh and giggle as she spoke up every time Rory did. It was adorable. Gift of gab, she has!

Plus, can I tell you how much fun I had pretending to be Jewish! I had to stop by Whole Foods for some matza and charoseth ingredients and a mom and her daughter ran up searching for something especially kosher for Passover and we ended up chatting and then at the end I said, "Happy Passover!" Just like a real Jewish mom! :)

And Tuesday morning we went out for breakfast (my most favorite meal to eat out) and simply had a beautiful day. It felt like a day out of a vacation--you know, those days where everyone is relaxed and the day just kind of takes care of itself? It was just perfect. My first birthday as a mommy went beautifully. We even stopped by Chapparal Park (where Rory and I used to hang out for Park Days as kids!) to show Dia the duckies and try out a jungle gym (including the toddler swing) for the first time. Let me just say that, true to form, the swing, slide and ducks had nothing on all the people she saw! She is literally energized by people--seeing them, smiling at them, talking to them. She draws people to her--even teenage boys and other surprising humans who don't usually do baby-talk! If anybody out there is single and needs to borrow a people-magnet, just let me know. DD is your ticket to making friends!


Yeah, yeah. Swing, schming. There are PEOPLE over THERE, Mom!


Slide. Up, down. I get it, but there are PEOPLE just over THERE!!! (She is in love with people--big, small, young, old, short, tall, doesn't matter! And there just happened to be a little boy and his dad right next to the slide--way cooler than any slide, let me tell you.)

So another year older, hopefully wiser and bountifully more passionate and grateful to be here. Happy Passion Week! And a big thank-ya'll to all those beloveds who made it out to dance with us at Harrolds. Yeehaw!

No comments: