Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Creamy Onion Dip--Raw Vegan (By Request)




A beloved vegan friend suggested I post this recipe after I mentioned it here and I am tickled she asked. She actually gave it to me a few years back and we all grinned as her kids literally licked it off their veggies. If you've been wanting to encourage your kids (or family) to veg up but hesitate to use bottled ranch dressing (and I fully support your hesitation--that stuff is full of yucky, horrible, no good chemicals), we have your answer! This recipe is raw, vegan and still high in protein, and of course, flavor.

If you have never pulverized nuts/seeds, you're in for a treat (does that sound wrong or is it just me?). Raw nuts are full of healthy and necessary to life oils. Soaking and then blending them releases these oils, which is why you can get the creamiest of dips (and cheesecakes!) from cashews and macademias. Crazy, huh? I didn't believe it myself until I tried it. And where there are various concerns (scientific as well as anecdotal) with dairy, the only concern with nuts is the potential for an allergic reaction. (This is a great dip to make for anyone who is lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy, too.) So as with any nut/seed, wait until you're comfortable introducing them as a new food and make sure to introduce them as the only new food for about two weeks to able to watch for and pinpoint any sings of reaction.

This not only makes a great dip for vegetables, but with some added water it also makes a great salad dressing. Use it anywhere you'd use traditional ranch dressing. This recipe does not require any soaking of the cashews.

Creamy Onion Dip

2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup water (or more if needed)
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp salt
2 small or 1 large garlic clove(s)
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp dill

Blend all ingredients in high powered blender or food processor until creamy. Add more water for creamier texture if needed/desired. And as with nearly any recipe I use, feel free to add to/subtract from the measurements suggested until its flavor suits you.

*Apologies for the poor photo quality--my cell phone was the only camera available at the time.

No comments: