Friday, November 14, 2008

On we go

I have been climbing uphill for so long. At times I get spurts of energy and burst ahead with full momentum. Other times, I find a rocky crag I can hide myself in and sit and wait for the storm to pass. Lately, I had been hiding a lot more than climbing.

I once heard a story about a woman who was attempting to swim, I believe, the English Channel. It was freezing and more difficult than any training could have prepared her for. Her coach was in a boat alongside her encouraging her and propelling her along with his voice. Finally, her arms gave out and she could take no longer. Calling it quits, she looked up and saw the shore was less than a mile away.

I am glad that in climbing I am able to hide in the rocks sometimes. Because, like my swimmer friend, I would have far too often called it quits if I wouldn't have been able to rest and hide.

The other day as I had crawled out from behind the rocks and begun climbing again (steady climbing this time--no spurt of energy but clear determination), I caught a glimpse of the view from the top. I hadn't reached the top, but I caught just a glimpse of some of what could be seen from the top. It amazed me. That little peek into what awaited me energized me for days. It was no spurt of energy. It was confirmation that I am almost there. The view won't leave my eyes even as I look to the next hold. So I climb on. Keeping my eyes ahead on the peak before me.

A special thanks to the women in my life who have held me in the rock and belayed me when I could take no more. We are on our way and we are closer than we know.

No comments: