Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Few Firsts

I love that even though she is growing older and bigger and wiser and even more beautiful (if that's even possible!), there are still things she is doing for the first time!

Like talk in her sleep! Early early Sunday morning I was roused from my sleep only to look over at Dia and see that she was smiling and saying "Uh-oh!" in her sleep! Eyes closed and in full slumber! I wanted to laugh so hard. I could hardly believe it. If you know Rory at all, you know that this is a full Papa skill. Already following in our footsteps, I guess!

She also signed for the first time Monday night! She can now sign "more"! I was shocked and so excited when my mom started signing it with her and she shortly started repeating the motion. So she now has several words and a sign in her arsenal of communication!

And remember that picture of her exploring the doggy door? Well guess who got stuck in it today? To be fair, the flaps on the doggy door are in their last stages and need to be replaced soon. As it is now, when the dogs go in and our the flaps sometimes get stuck in and on each other basically leaving a rectangular floor-level window. It is practically begging D to explore it! And today, she got herself half-way through it. She loves being able to look right out without anything obstructing her view and now, I assume, she will also love being able to head outside whenever the fancy hits! Can you say, "Uh-oh"?

This is a little stretch, but she also got her first fourth tooth today. Okay, okay. Just her fourth tooth! But still, I had to stretch it so that the "Firsts" title would fit! So she now has two bottom teeth and both eye teeth. Yippee!!!

And as per the photo, Dia had her first spaghetti dinner (organic rice pasta with Trader Joe's organic marinara)! Mmmmm! She loved it. We usually just give her plain pasta which she loves, but the other night she refused to eat it. She wanted to sit in my lap and play with my "real" pasta dinner. Rory and I agreed that that simply would not work, so we let her sit on the floor screaming while we attempted to have a nice dinner. We eventually tried sitting her down in the high chair again and for some reason, thought to put some of our "real" pasta with sauce on her tray this time. And voila! That's all she had wanted the whole time! And let me tell you, I had such a pang of guilt. She wasn't being difficult or spoiled or troublesome or anything like that. Her heart had been pure, we just mis-communicated. Agh! I never want to cause her unneeded pain and even though it was only for a few minutes over some pasta sauce, all wounds of your child are heavy burdens on a mama heart. And it's only just beginning! Lord, send Your mercy, compassion and grace.

No comments: