Saturday, October 02, 2010

Guess What I Did Last Night?

You won't believe what I did all night last night--I cooked breakfast. While I slept.

Yep. And it was fabulous to wake up to breakfast already ready (ready even for Rory's early morning departure).

Oatmeal in the crockpot, my friends. Yes, the crockpot. Oatmeal. Came out creamy, rich, almost buttery. Very affordable (organic steel cut oats from Trader Joe's, water and salt--though I added cinnamon and vanilla).

Perfect for the cool weather....I know it will come to Arizona one day!

Check it out: http://mothering.com/recipes/slow-cooker-oatmeal

4 comments:

Raising Family said...

Thank you for the recipe! I just put my steal cut oatmeal in the crock pot. Very excited to wake up tomorrow!

Stephanie said...

Yay--glad you're trying it out! My mom found, though, that her crock pot slightly overcooked the oats (it wasn't all burned, but the edges were basically inedible), so if you know your crock pot tends to like it hot, try using the warm temp. Happy (and warm and creamy) Eating!

Raising Family said...

Turned out GREAT!!! I added the vanilla and cinnamon too. In the morning I added some fat free milk and bananas as well. YUMMY!! So excited! I will be doing this more often. Thanks again. Funny cause my hubby almost threw out the steal cut oats the other day. It has been in the pantry for so long. I never wanted to cook them because it took so long. Yea, for healthy breakfast!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for letting me know--I am so glad to hear it! Happy healthy eating :)