Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Last Set of Pics (I'm pretty sure at least....)

It might be hard to tell from the other pics, but we did do more than just eat cupcakes...

Hi everyone!
(This shot is thanks to Lukas' super tall dad, Manfred. Pretty sure he stood on a chair, though for this one... :)

We played at the table Great-Opa made with friends--cutest little animal chairs!
(Our neighbor/friend wanted to get as much use out of her Halloween costume as possible :)

We played kitchen with our friends

Conspired to open/relocate the cooler with Lukas (We love Lukas!)

Showed Lukas the dogs locked outside (possibly conspired to let them in??? Hmmm....)

Made use of a Montessori tradition where we had Dia walk around the globe one time signifying her first trip around the sun, her first year.
(Yes, that does not make sense. I realized too late that I did it incorrectly! Dia was supposed to hold the globe and walk around a candle (thus, her trip around the sun). Oh well! It was still fun and symbolic--and got a great round of applause.)

Picked out Izzes with Papa

And even said goodbye (We love Yahm!)

All in all, it ended up being great fun (for us--I hope for everyone!). I was completely out of my element, though. I have never been the mom of the birthday girl. I was surprised sometimes at how unsure I felt. I had no idea what to wear (silly, I know, but as a girl those things matter!) or even how I wanted to decorate. Really this first year as Dia's mom has been a whole new re-examining of myself. Thanks to some fabulous and honest friends, I saw that I almost cocooned myself after Dia was born, hiding my true self from the world. In reality, I was hiding from Dia.

Here's the transparent part...my maternal grandmother and I have a lot of similarities. Besides the blonde, we are both fairly strong-willed and opinionated women. Growing up, my mom struggled with her relationship with her mom (my grandma) and voiced a lot of this struggle (and hurt) with her kids and husband. It was no secret. Well, a few comparisons between me and this grandma lodged themselves in my subconcious and I think that literally on the day Dia was born, I shut my mouth and closed down my spirit out of mortal and deathly fear that I would wound my precious girl as my grandmother unwittingly had my mom. This changed everything about me. My role as my husband's helpmeet (honesty is critical--PARAMOUNT--as a helpmeet and for any hope of respect) took a 180. Seeing my daughter and instantly understanding my role and power and influence in her life, I ran for the hills! Not physically, but emotionally. You just can't know how much you love someone until you have a child. I don't care how many people say it, it's true. This love overwhelmed me with such joy and fear, though, unfortunately. So now I am learning to be me, letting me be me but praying with all my might to be transparent and loving enough so that Dia and I can overcome any obstacle and hurt together--united. I need a lot of my husband's help--his praises about me and listening ear for me together have the power to keep me on solid ground. I so love her. But how can I possibly convey this in a way she could even begin to understand? How well the Lord knows this struggle. And knowing I will inevitably hurt her, I have to make sure she knows I am on her side, no matter what. I am amazed at God's faithfulness to continue to grow me, even as I raise my daughter. I think I assumed that once Dia was born, my life stopped. Boy was I wrong! It feels more like my life has just begun. Here's to another wonder-filled year of life raising India--can't wait to see where we are at for her second birthday.

And many, many thanks to the wonderful people of our life who helped us celebrate. Seeing each one of you blessed my mommy heart and as you know, thrilled Dia. Love to you all.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Enjoy reading your blog. Have really just started but just wanted to say that you're right on that your world is just beginning to open up with the birth of Dia. Children will take you where you would have never gone on your own.